Valeo Management L.P. is a limited partnership that began operating in 2000. Its mission is to commercialize the results of research carried out by its limited partners, namely Concordia University and six universities affiliated to the Université du Québec network: Université du Québec à Montréal, École de Technologie Supérieure, Université du Québec à Rimouski and, since January 2008, Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières, Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue and Université du Québec en Outaouais. The majority of Valeo’s current activities involve technology transfer under licence.
Valeo provides several services to Concordia’s research community, including:
- Conducting scientific and commercial evaluations of intellectual property (IP)
- Protecting IP and confidential information, through patentability studies, and if appropriate patent applications and execution of confidentiality agreements
- Implementing strategies for the enhancement of IP, including conducting technical evaluations, assessing technological and commercial advances, analyzing economic potential, identifying best business practices and planning for further research and development
- Budget forecasting for the promotion and management of IP rights and commercialization of resulting inventions
- Assisting researchers throughout the development and commercialization process
- Presenting IP to potential investors or commercial partners
- Drafting commercial agreements aimed at enhancing, commercializing and transferring IP
- Negotiating and drafting license agreements and other contracts related to IP, and
- Collecting and managing royalties and other benefits stemming from IP.